Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Health Insurance Marketplace
Adobe Creative Suite, InVision, UXPin, Balsamiq
In the early stages of its launch, Healthcare.gov faced several significant challenges, both technical and managerial, resulting in a website that was not ready for the public. However, a concerted effort from multiple stakeholders, along with dedicated UX and UI design work, transformed the platform, making it a more effective and user-friendly resource for millions seeking health insurance.
The initial designs in this case study are recent updates that I made to bring a fresh look to the home page.
Simplify the process of finding and enrolling in health insurance
To redesign Healthcare.gov by improving the site navigation, information architecture, and user experience. The aim was to create a system that addressed the initial challenges, and more importantly, made the process of seeking and enrolling in health insurance more straightforward for the public.
Streamlined enrollment process, accessible anywhere, anytime
The solution involved a comprehensive redesign of the Healthcare.gov website with a focus on user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design. As a UX and UI Designer embedded in the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services product team, the task was to not only redesign but also streamline the health insurance marketplace to improve site navigation, information architecture, and user flow.
Multi-vendor product team
- UX Design
- User Research
- UI Design
- Content Strategy
- Business Analysts
- User Testing
User Experience Design, User Interface Design, QA testing
- Stakeholder Interviews: Conducted interviews to gather insights and feedback for the redesign
- Wireframes, User Flows, and UI Design: Developed wireframes, user flows, and user interface designs to enhance the user experience.
- Prototyping: Created prototypes for real-world testing
- User Testing: Conducted user tests to collect feedback on the redesigned platform
- Design System: Helped to design and expand a system that met accessibility standards
- A/B and Multivariate Testing: Implemented A/B and Multivariate Testing to optimize the design.
Browse through select designs from the Healthcare.gov, including recent updates made to revitalize the original design, which has been live for a decade, along with original screens and specifications that helped assist the engineering team.
For a more comprehensive look at additional deliverables or further project details, please don't hesitate to contact me.